of St. Edward the Confessor, Kempley, 1904 - architecturally
interesting as designed and constructed by local craftspeople.
church of St. Edwards was planned by the Lord of the Manor and major
landowner, the 7th earl of Beauchamp, because the old parish church of
St. Mary's was too far away from the main centres of population at
Kempley Green and Fishpool, and also the site of St. Mary's was liable
to flooding. In 1902 the foundations were laid. In 1903 Randall Wells.
clerk of works at Brockhampton was called in and the church was built
by direct labour under his supervision. R. James a local builder was
the foreman. The walls of the church and the lynchgate are in Forest of
Dean red sandstone. Originally the church and the lynchgate were both
roofed in local stone tiles but the church has had to be reroofed with
church has three sculpted stone reliefs designed by Randall Wells,
above the entrance, Christ by Wells and a local carpenter. Within the
porch, Virgin and Child, and on the East wall, the Crucifixion, both by
Walter James, a local carpenter.
church should be open from approximately 9am to 4pm every day -
although there may be occasions when this is not so, if churchwardens
have a timing problem, or if the weather is particularly bad during the
The parish of Kempley is part of the united Benefice of Upleadon comprising the villages of Bromsberrow,
Donnington, Dymock, Kempley, Oxenhall, Pauntley, Preston, Redmarley and Upleadon.
Currently the Benefice is in a Vacancy and awaits appointment of a new Rector.
St Edward's services are generally as follows,
but times may vary during the Vacancy:
First Sunday of the month - Holy communion at 11.00am
Second Sunday - Service of Evening Praise (non Eucharistic) at 4pm
Third Sunday - Benefice Service of Holy Communion at 10 am
(location varies each month)
Fourth Sunday - Holy Communion at 9.30am